Research Associate - Protein Biochemistry (Food Ingredients)R&D · Pleasanton, California
ABOUT THE JOB
The Research Associate - Protein Biochemistry is responsible for detecting, purifying, quantifying, and characterizing novel protein ingredients and will work closely with the strain development, bioprocessing, and product development teams to formulate meat analog products. This position is located in the SF / Bay area. Only candidates that are local or will consider relocation will be considered.
- Evaluate and characterize protein ingredients as necessary.
- Execute methods and processes for evaluating the functional behavior of protein ingredients made from air.
- Identity and quantitate proteins and peptides from complex microbial matrices to support research and development.
- Extract, analyze and screen for the function of novel protein ingredients.
- Perform protein characterization using various techniques including UV-Vis, SDS-PAGE, Western blotting, ELISA, and light-scattering.
- Execute protein purification with affinity, size exclusion, ion exchange, and hydrophobic interaction chromatography, possibly using AKTA chromatography workstations.
- Collaborate with cross-disciplinary teams with diverse scientific backgrounds.
- Work with functional and research teams to advance project objectives and meet timelines.
- Document batch to batch variability.
- Interpret, analyze, and communicate results in a timely fashion to internal stakeholders.
- Other duties may be assigned as needed.
- BSc or MSc in biochemistry, protein science, molecular biology, chemical engineering, or related field.
- 1 to 10 years of relevant (non-academic) industry experience working in protein biochemistry labs, the RA-level will be commensurate with the amount of experience.
- Hands-on wet-lab skills with demonstrated ability to run scientific experiments.
- Demonstrated expertise in detecting, purifying and characterizing proteins, especially in a food science context.
- Highly organized with a strong attention to detail and able to uphold a high degree of scientific rigor.
ABOUT OUR PURPOSE
Why we exist: To accelerate the world’s transition to climate and rainforest-friendly meat
What we do: We make nutritious meat using the most sustainable protein on the planet
- Protect people & the planet
- Play as a team and have a growth mindset
- Do what you say you will do
- Be the change you seek
- Create a culture of belonging