Summary of the Position:
As a leader of Product Development, the job candidate will perform and manage activities associated with the successful formulation and reformulation of dietary supplements for veterinary and human products (tablets, capsules, liquids, pellets and soft chews). The successful candidate will be responsible for all development activities from concept to finished product. The candidate must be able to troubleshoot formulation/process related issues, assist in development and training of formulation scientists, laboratory technicians and PD supporting staff.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Support PD Management with the coordination and execution of all product development activities to ensure successful product launches
- Manage complex application projects, provide technical recommendations internally and externally, and follow thru with technically sound resolution
- Research and evaluate various manufacturing processes, new technologies, equipment, raw materials for their use in manufactured products as needed
- Successful product formulation to meet designated specifications, quality guidelines and current regulatory requirements; An emphasis is to be placed on the delivery of effective, high-quality, affordable, robust formulation designs
- Ensure all necessary documents, including Master Batch Records (MBRs) are prepared and executed to meet specific operational requirements within planned target delivery dates
- Deliver and prepare Change Control Requests (CCRs) and Non-Conformance Requests (NCRs)
- Provide technical support to cross-functional teams (Project Management, Operations, Marketing, Quality, Customer Service) during development and commercial product launches
- Ensure ingredient compliance and regulatory specifications to meet domestic and International regulations
- Support developmental training and mentoring of PD staff
- Participate in innovation team to develop formulation concepts and prototypes
- Other technical and applications responsibilities as needed
- Regular attendance is required.
- Perform other assigned duties as may be required in meeting company objectives.
- May be required to work overtime as needed.
- Communicate effectively with other departments within the organization and function within a team environment.
- Must have the ability to use the principles of science, chemistry, math and reason to work independently to produce formulations that will efficiently run in manufacturing operations
- Must be familiar with generally used equipment in the manufacturing of various dosage forms: tablets, liquids, capsules, beadlets, soft chews
- Expertise with formulating dosage forms with complex active ingredient matrices
- Must be innovative and have sufficient formulation and manufacturing processing experience or training to recommend process and product improvements
- Must be computer literate
- Must be able to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Team player.
Education and Experience:
- 7+ years hands-on experience in formulation of dietary supplement (DS) products and /or over-the-counter (OTC) OR preferred education background and 3 - 5 years of hands-on formulation experience may be substituted for minimum experience requirements.
- 10+ years of hands-on formulation experience with education background is preferred.
- Bachelor's Degree in Biology or Chemistry or other equivalent degree in a related field is required.
- MS or PhD in Science, Pharmacy or related field is preferred