The Employer is committed to innovation that leads to a zero-waste future. The company continues to advance its technology and test new applications for gasification at Research Park based in central California.
The Opportunity: Assist with commissioning and plant start-up activities at their demonstration and future commercial proprietary gasification facilities. This person will be the lead engineer for chemical engineering aspects related to further development and improvements of their gasification technology for future commercial systems. The position will report to the Engineering Manager and interface very closely with the Plant Manager. The position will initially be located at their demonstration plant located near King City, CA.
• Ensure all safety procedures are followed and best practices are used for process safety.
• Participate and lead Process Hazard Analysis studies.
• Write/review/execute commissioning protocols and technology test plans ensuring these are integrated into the overall operations schedule with Plant Manager.
• Mentor and guide other engineers.
• Perform and assist with various startup activities and complex trouble shooting.
• Pre-FEED design activities to support EPC efforts and play a lead role in finalizing the conceptual design specifications that ensures technology specifications are met.
• Responsible for overall process modeling - ensure appropriate tools and standards are used to meet engineering design and process optimization needs.
• Principal responsibility for overall plant energy & material balance, equipment specifications and overall system Capex vs. Opex optimization.
• Work closely with other engineering disciplines (especially mechanical and controls & instrumentation) to deliver a plant fit for purpose that meets technology milestones.
• Be a subject matter expert for gasification and related supporting technologies. Review trends and ensure latest information and knowledge is institutionalized.
• Project management responsibility for designated projects.
• Work closely with mechanical group to integrate process design requirements with limitations and regulations for design and operation of equipment.
• Travel (within CA and out of state) to project sites and/or vendors and consulting groups.
• Other duties as needed.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Plant process engineer and process modeling engineer.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to exercise good judgment and effectiveness in working with a high-performing, mostly technical team.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Self-starter and takes initiative to tackle novel and complicated challenges.
• Diligence in completing tasks and communicating proactively when challenges arise.
• Flexible and adaptable if change of assignment needed.
• Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Microsoft Project.
• Strong experience in process modeling principles and practice and relevant software packages (e.g., Aspen, ChemCad, HSC).
• Utilize and modify the existing Proprietary Gasification process simulation using Aspen – review suitability of modeling tools and update or modify as required.
• Strong experience designing and conducting pilot/small scale technology demonstration and testing to produce data for model validation, scale up and techno-economic evaluations.
• Conduct techno-economic evaluations of novel and existing technologies, including engagement with outside equipment vendors, production of H&MB models, cost analysis, value engineering, plant availability, and presentation of results to management.
• Ability to apply principles of logical thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
• Understanding of mechanical engineering aspects for process equipment and designs.
• Understanding of controls and instrumentation process needs.
• Must be a self-starter and be able to work autonomously, but also be willing to collaborate as part of a dynamic, multi-disciplined engineering team operating from multiple locations.
• B.S in chemical engineering. An advanced degree or other relevant experience demonstrating deep immersion in new technologies would be a distinct advantage.
• Twelve years of process development experience with proven experience translating novel technologies from the research to the commercial setting.
• Strong gasification experience is strongly desired.
• Experience with Oxygen (design for use, cleaning, and inspection) and Hydrogen (design for use) would be a significant advantage.
Working Conditions and Travel:
• Work is performed at Demonstration Plant and other sites as required, as well as the corporate office.
• May be assigned to night shift and work 12-hour shifts, 7-days a week during campaigns.
• Hands-on work is performed outdoors in the heat and sun, at elevation, and around machinery.
• Work is also performed indoors on a computer, sitting for extended periods.
• Work outdoors in appropriate personal protective equipment for extended periods.
• Work outdoors in temperatures ranging from 110°F to 25°F.
• Climb ladders, work at elevated heights, reach overhead and work on a computer.
• Hear alarms, communicate via radio, and comply with safety procedures and policies.
• Pass military background checks to access US Military facilities.
• Have acceptable results for post-offer background checks, drug screen, and medical tests/exams.
• Be eligible to work in the U.S. without sponsorship.